Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Don't Leave the Pitcher in to Long

Jeff Weiner the CEO of LinkedIn, posted recently about the most important lesson learned as a CEO. The sports analogy as a metaphor for business is so strikingly true. Every business I have worked in has been guilty of leaving someone in a critical role too long.
And I might go as far as saying I have been in roles to long too. Fortunately at Macy's and Leviton, I was moved to new and different assignments and projects regularly. Even the best pitchers have a bad outing, some go into a funk  and need to be either changed up in their role or traded. In business we are not so fortunate...we end up getting fired...there are no trades in business...
So the trick is reinventing ourselves every so often to avoid the axe. and when we do get the axe its important to take stock of our talents and put them to good use as well as adding a few new skills, like a pitcher adding a new pitch or learning to change speeds on an existing one...
For me I am working on a slider, taking a little speed off , with a slight change of direction...

No comments: